Monday, October 12, 2009

Don't put it off, procrastinate now

Ever find yourself wanting to accomplish something and you end up polishing off a bag of Doritos in your pajamas watching reruns of Seinfeld? It happens to the best and the worst of us, you know who you are. The easiest thing to do to fix this side affect is to create a 'to do' list. I know what you are thinking but you would be surprised how much you actually accomplish by using a 'to do' list.

I started using one when I had a sales job and I still use it. The worse thing you can do is compile your list in your head and not write anything down. Have you ever thought about what you need to do the next day before you go to bed and then you wake up and forget half of it? I highly recommend writing it down so it's there when you wake up. I use a white board so I can easily keep it updated. For awhile it was working and then I kept forgetting to look at it and I turned into a couch potato. Why is it called a couch potato? Is the potato the laziest vegetable? Why not couch asparagus or couch carrot? Does anyone know?

Back to my point....
To try and change my ways I kept erasing what I wrote and writing in different colors thinking this will make me look at it. It did work for awhile until I forgot about it again. I recently thought of a clever, simple solution. I put a check box next to all my 'to do' list items. When I accomplished something I could check it off instead of erasing it like I was doing. Seeing what I accomplished helped a lot and gave me a sense of satisfaction.

If you don't have a white board you can use index cards or one piece of paper that you carry everywhere. Don't use several scraps of paper, that's just stupid.Do your most unpleasant tasks first thing. Otherwise, they will occupy your mind most of the day and you won't be productive. I know this from experience, you end up putting it off and you tell yourself 'I'll do it tomorrow.' This brilliant idea never works out.

Create your 'to do' list today, it could change your life. That sounded cheesy. How about stop fucking procrastinating and just do something productive already, you lazy bastard!! Too harsh? Hmmmm....... Do whatever you want, I don't care what you do. That works.

No comments: