Thursday, July 29, 2010

Is it Bologna or Boloney?


I wrote this post back when I had no followers. Now I have over 100!! I hit 100 followers on Monday or Tuesday I think and forgot to mention it. Where would I be without all of you? Thanks for following 'Just the Cheese', you are all awesome in your own way.
Sorry ahead of time about the language in the post, I had some built up aggression in my earlier writing.

I have never understood the English language entirely. For instance who the hell decided on the spelling of words? Was it one guy or like a board meeting type of situation where everybody gives their idea and then it's voted on? One word I never understood especially when I was younger is "colonel." What happened to the "R?" Other words like bologna, knife, phlegm and cough. Why do we need silent letters in the first place, do they help us at all in school when we are learning how to read?

Okay Timmy spell the word 'knife.' Timmy sounds it out and says N-I-F-E. No Timmy I'm sorry but there is a 'K' at the beginning. What the fuck you talking about 'K' at the beginning? It's not KA-NIFE, who put that 'K' there? You're telling me the 'K' is silent? Oh like KFUCK YOU!!

How come we don't have silent letters in our names? I'm going to add a 'Z' in my name so it's JAMZIE now, don't forget that the 'Z' is silent. I have actually thought about this before but I forgot about it until I saw a Katt Williams stand up where he does an entertaining skit involving the pronunciation of words. I kind of stole it from him but I'm sure he won't sue, I'm not getting paid like he is. Also Jim Gaffigan does a small bit about it. I love Jim Gaffigan, I think he's hilarious, he talks about the most simplest things and makes them funny like hot pockets and bacon.

Maybe 'colonel' is spelled that way because we already have 'kernel' and nobody wants to be a 'kernel' in the armed forces.

Why can't words just be spelled the way they sound? I would really like to find out the back story on the spelling of these ridiculous words. The ironic thing is that I'm a stickler for spelling words correctly. I used to edit my texts so they the words were spelled right and it would bother me if I didn't do it. I'm better now but I'm still a little anal about it. You know what is bullshit, my Microsoft Word is screwed up and I can't use spell check on it. It sucks for doing school work, I have to email it to myself and spell check it at the library or Nicole's house.

Okay I have wandered away from the subject once again but that's what makes it interesting or something along those lines. Wherever I was going with this is now gone. I might write a follow up piece if I can remember what I was talking about. "And I'm Ron Burgundy. Go fuck yourself, San Diego."

12 comments:

Guilty of Gossip said...

Congrats! On 100!!! Jim Gaffigan is AMAZING....

hotttt pockkettsss

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on 100! Happy to follow. And yes, Jim Gaffigan is great. I'll never look at Hot Pockets the same way again.

Cruella Collett said...

Jamzie, I loved this post. Silent letters will be the death of me sometime. Try keeping up with them when English isn't even your first language!

And congratulations on reaching 100!

The Invisible Seductress said...

giggle!!

Daisygirl said...

Hellz ya on the 104 followers!!! Woop Woop!

Laughing cause whenever I see the word Phlegm I laugh cause that so fricken says flegim!

Pat Tillett said...

Whoo Whoo!!!
Congrats on 100.
On your way to 200 and beyond...

Cheeseboy said...

Try teaching a bunch of 6 year olds how to spell. Makes no sense to them at all.

Marlene said...

I could really throw you a bone and tell you how we Canadians pronounced "lieutenant". :) (Hint, there is an "f" sound in there).

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

But PTM, Timmy is spelled: Timmmmmeeeee! Poor Timmy can't spell or say anything but his name. I think he must be the one and only Board member.
xoRobyn

Unknown said...

LOL. Jamzie sounds pretty cool to me. BTW, I agree with Timmy. Why would somebody add a 'K' at the beginning. Maybe, the board members who selected words were underpaid. See, it makes sense now.
Smiles...

Hart Johnson said...

*snickersnort* Man, oh man, did you nail it? Stupid spelling rules--silent letters... sounds with no indication... but it could be a lot worse... you ever learn any Welsh?

Copyboy said...

On that note, why can't grammar be left up to the user?