Thursday, May 20, 2010

Wedding stuff and kids

Last Thursday, Nicole and I visited another place to possibly have our wedding. It's a castle-like Hotel called Hotel Thayer or The Thayer Hotel (either one works I guess). If you live near the Hudson Valley in New York, you have probably heard of it. It's located in West Point, NY, right on the military base. There are some security check points to go through to enter the premises (ID checks and search of the car). The hotel was built on the side of a mountain so it has a great view. It is made of stone and looks like the Queen might live there. It has a great big lobby and definitely makes you feel insignificant. The ball rooms are big and elegant. Nicole took pictures of the inside with her camera. I wish I was smart enough to think to upload them but I wasn't. Maybe I will do a follow up post with just the pics.






This place also had an amazing view, right on the river. The only issue is only one of the banquet rooms is accessible to the outside lawn where the ceremony would be. The other room would require us to get married inside. I like the idea of getting married outside. The room connected to the outside has a low ceiling compared to the other one that has a nice high ceiling. Things to think about. The woman that was giving us the tour was much more enthusiastic than the woman from the last place. Also the woman from the other place had a cold and she was nasally and annoying. The price per plate was a little cheaper than Beckwithe Point, about $120 a plate. The problem is that Hotel Thayer just changed chefs and they don't know what their menu will look like in 2012, and also the pricing might change. It was a nice place but didn't give us the wow factor. We are still going to look at other venues.

Now a change of subject to something different. I have been thinking about kids more and more lately. I never really thought about having kids that much until I met Nicole and realized I wanted to be with her forever. When I was 20, I thought kids were cute but they didn't make me think about my own future rugrats. Nicole and I were at Mavis the other days getting tires for my tricycle..... I mean, our car. A father came in with his 3 little girls. Two of them were very young, just learning how to talk and making no sense. The other was a little older. These kids were so cute, just eating their Mickey Dees and being happy about nothing. I want some cute kids, dammit. I want to be a father, seems like fun. Can I get them already potty trained? Nicole will have to be on diaper control, I don't like doo-doo. She works in a hospital and cleans up old people so she is more experienced for the job and has better credentials.

I think I will make a great dad. I would tell my kids the truth. If they ask me a question like where do babies come from, I am going to tell them the truth. Where did the stork come from anyway? Has anybody ever actually seen a real stork? I would play with them all the time. I love kids' toys, blocks, cars, books, things with lights and sounds, I'm all over it. You know what I still love? The Highlights magazine that you find at the dentist or doctor's office. I used to read them when I was younger and I still enjoy them. I love to make kids laugh. That is one of the best feelings in the world and it's so easy. Just making a funny face or sound makes them giggle. I love sticking my tongue out at random kids to make them smile. Not in a creepy way. Like if I'm waiting in line and the person is front of me is holding their kid over their shoulder and the kid is looking at me. I'm obligated to entertain them and myself while we are in line. I wanted to play with the kids in Mavis but I thought it might have been creepy so I just asked the little girl if her cookie was tasty. She said something that I couldn't decipher but I understood the big smile. Kids are great and I can't wait to have a bunch with Nicole.

9 comments:

Jerry said...

Wow that would be a cool place to get married out. I bet the view is gorgeous.

Kids are awesome man. I am expecting #3 around Christmas.

Nippy The Penguin said...

Sounds great buddy, and good luck on the rugrat front may you and Nicole have lots of little happies babies.

Bernadine said...

Wow that place is awesome. It looks like something out of King Arthur's time.

I like kids too. I don't have my own yet. Our friends child is like so cute. Everytime we go and visit there or if they visit at our house she is like "auntie auntie" all the time and I'm not her auntie. We are just friends. She is 2 and she is so cute. :)

Ok enough babbling. Enjoy your day. :)

TS Hendrik said...

The place looks pretty killer. What great view it must have.

Kids are great. Cute AND sticky.

Lindsey Buck said...

Oh I love it! I've never been to New York but I really want to go. I know that I would love to have wedding celebrations at a place like that. PS, kids are awesome. Great post!

Pat Tillett said...

That looks like a memorable place to be married it. I also love kids, I really love it now that they are adults!

California Keys said...

There is nothing more that I will treasure in my life than my wife and kids....

Seriously, when you walk through the door, and your kids runs to greet you to give you a hug, while screaming excitedly 'Daddy's home! Daddy's home! Daddy's home!'.... There nothing better than that!

By the way, when I show up to the castle, does Nicole want me to wear the typical black frock with the white collar? Or does she want the multi colored robes?

Teachinfourth said...

Wow, that place is impressive! It would make for some great photos...

Farmers Wifey said...

I love this post, you will make a great dad. And let me tell you something, you will literally think your kids poo does not stink....