Monday, May 31, 2010

Retro Review: About Last Night... (1986)

I had never heard of this movie. It was on my Netflix queue and I forgot why I put it there but it was next on the list so I gave it a whirl. I decided to take a gander on IMDb to see how it was reviewed before I actually watched it. I am obsessed with IMDb, it's my favorite application on my ipod. It didn't seem that promising from what I saw on IMDb, it got a 5.8 out of 10. I wasn't going to send it back now so I popped it in to the XBOX 360 and got into movie mode.

It started off on the right track. Oh wait, before I start rambling I should tell you a little about it. It stars Rob Lowe as Danny, James Belushi as Danny's BF Bernie, Demi Moore as Danny's love interest Debbie and Elizabeth Perkins as Debbie's BF Joan. It was Edward Zwick's directorial debut. You might have seen his other work: Defiance, Blood Diamond, The Last Samurai, The Siege, Courage Under Fire and my favorite Legends of the Fall. If you have not seen LOTF, I highly recommend it.

The film starts off with Danny and Bernie talking about a sexual encounter that Bernie had that involved some kinky shit. They talk about it everywhere, on the bus, at the bar, they don't care. Bernie is blatantly loud and sexually explicit and doesn't care. James Belushi plays a great 'sidekick'. James Belushi looks pretty much the same then as he does now. I like Belushi in According to Jim. Any body watch that show? I catch reruns on TBS. It's pretty funny and he has a hot wife. You know what I have come to realize? There are a lot of shows that have a chubby/fat husband and a hot wife. There is The King of Queens, According to Jim, Still Standing, and I know there are more but I can't think of them right now.

I don't want to bore you with the plot, that's not my style. These are in fact, 'reviews you can't use' so it wouldn't make sense for me to actually explain what happens in the movie. My job is to humorously tell you what I did and didn't like about the film.

If you are a guy such as myself, wait.... okay yes I am in fact a guy, I was just double checking, you will enjoy Demi Moore's sexy voice and some nudity as well. If you are female or a gay man (I don't want to leave any one out) you might enjoy Rob Lowe's bare ass. I am neither a female nor a gay man so I didn't enjoy his ass as much as I could have.

At one point, Danny and Debbie are at a diner and Danny goes behind the counter and pours his own coffee. I want to hang out at a place like that. People are too uppity nowadays and that would probably not happen.

How come when I watch movies the music and background noise are always ten times as loud as the dialogue? I always have to fiddle with the sound, turning it down and then back up and it drives me crazy!! I don't think it's just my tv because it happens at Nicole's house too.

My favorite line: "He doesn't make me sleep in the wet spot."

Most confusing line: "I feel like a fire hydrant that's been pissed on."

All in all I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. I think they could of cut it down a little. It did seem to drag at some points. I think About Last Night is underrated. I recommend it if you live funny love stories from the 80's, I mean who doesn't? The 80's are awesome, back me up on this one Ally.

8 comments:

The Invisible Seductress said...

I remember that one from watching it years and years ago...You sure you didn't enjoy Rob's ass?? It was a nice one!!! giggle...

I remember the after sex naked kitchen scene..Is that the same movie even?

Bossy Betty said...

My husband is a Demi Moore fan too. I don't get it. I am sure he would enjoy this movie. I could go shopping while he watched it.....

California Keys said...

I don't think I've seen this movie.... Time to check it out....

Donda said...

I have had many a dining experience where my server has disappeared, most likely to smoke or text or purposely ignore me because I look like a bad tipper. I have no problem rushing the waitress station to refill my Coke. I am pretty sure the uppity people are looking down on me while the impatient ones are saying Bravo! I will have to check out that movie (surprised I haven't seen it)...I am a TV/movie fanatic!

Cheeseboy said...

This is the funniest thing I have read all week:

"I am neither a female nor a gay man so I didn't enjoy his ass as much as I could have."

Could have! ha ha! Nicely played.

Steve G. said...

One of Belushi's former writers, Dave Feeney, has a show with another comedian, Dave Dameshek, that's hilarious. It's on iTunes - Daves of Thunder.

I'm interested in this movie now. And also, I'm somewhat annoyed by the fat dude-hot wife thing on television shows. They could at least get a homelier looking woman as the wife to make it a bit more realistic!

Pat Tillett said...

That was pretty darn funny. A couple of great lines in there...

Ally said...

Oh wow, I'm sorry I've been away (been out of the blogging loop for a while - in a blog reading and writing funk lately) ... you mentioned me, how cool.

Anyway, I remember seeing this movie years ago and actually kinda liking it.

Now, on to the fat guy vs hot wife thing. As a fat wife, I feel kinda bad having a cute hubby - though this situation with the fat dudes and pretty wives is reality believe it or not, people.

For years, I tried dating fat dudes and they'd NEVER date me! I swear to you. I'd do searches on dating sites for "heavy" or "big" guys and they were rarely seeking plus sized girls. Some of them, I'd trick into meeting me, but still, they never went for me. My high school boyfriend was chubby but that was just random luck.

I often had a joke saying, "Stick with your own kind" meaning we as a chubby race need to stick together. Truth is, fat guys seem to need a hot girl to feel validated or something. It's as if they have this low self esteem that's relieved by the pretty wife on their arm. It's not even about money. Maybe these skinny hot chicks think their guys won't stray if they're chubbers??? Who knows. Just my take on it.