Sunday, February 7, 2010

Got Milk?

It has been brought to my attention that I might not be doing enough "reviews you can't use" here at 'Just the Cheese.' The reason being I don't watch as many movies as I use to. I haven't been going to the movies as much and I put my Netflix on hold for awhile. I have kind of lost that urge to watch movies for some odd reason. That needs to change, movies are my biggest hobby. My second hobby is watching Seinfeld reruns and that gets old. Luckily for you I actually watched a movie the other night so naturally I thought I would review it or something to that effect.

I rented 'Milk' from the library last week but didn't watch it until Friday night. You can't go wrong with a free movie rental from the ol' public library, they have a lot of new selections there too.

If you are not familiar with this film, it is about the first openly gay man elected to office back in the 1970's. Harvey Milk is played by the talented Mr. Sean Penn, supported by James Franco (one of his lovers.)

The movie is a true story about his political life and what he does while he is in office. It got my feathers all ruffled. People can be so damn small-minded and ignorant. There was a politician back then that was trying to pass a law/bill to fire all gay teachers and anyone in the school system that supported them. Their argument was that these teachers were trying to recruit the kids into being gay, that since they couldn't have a family of their own that they would pass along their homosexuality to the kids. They also said that all gay teachers were child molesters and pedophiles. This just really pissed me off. I hate people that think this way. You can't teach someone how to be gay, you are born with it. You don't just one day decide to be gay.

Harvey Milk runs for office about 5 times before he wins a supervisor position and from that point on makes a huge difference. He really fought for gay rights. Ironically enough he lived and held office in San Francisco. The movie makes me want to go into politics to fight the power and I know nothing about politics. I was actually surprised that an openly gay man was elected to office back in the '70s. It seems like it wouldn't be accepted by enough people, I mean it took us 'til 2008/2009 to elect a black president. I wonder what the chances are of ever having a gay president? Is that possible or are there too many small-minded people in this country?

'Milk' is a good movie, a little slow to get going but definitely inspiring and enlightening. There are a few romantic scenes with Sean Penn and a few male actors just to warn you if that's not your cup-of-tea. That must be hard as an actor to have an intimate scene with someone of the same sex. They have to make it look real and convincing. I don't know if I could kiss another dude if I was an actor. Odd thing to think about, huh? I recommend seeing 'Milk,' it was an eye-opener to say the least.

2 comments:

Jerry said...

I have to say I am not a big Sean Penn fan but your review made the movie interesting enough to give it a shot. I will have to see about putting that Netflix subscription to good use.

My Thoughts...

California Keys said...

I thought it was a good movie.... Sean Penn has come a long was since Spicoli....

It's kind of scary that in a state as liberal as California, gay men and women still can't get married....