Saturday, January 9, 2010

In memory of a fallen pet

I know that most of the stuff I write about on here is meant to be humorous or slightly controversial but sometimes things happen and I have to show my human side. A few days ago our family dog Bud got hit by a car and got killed, he was 11. We had him as a pet for 10 years.

The odd thing was that he disappeared after a daily walk. He rarely ran away and was never gone for a long time. He had arthritis in his back legs and didn't stray very far away from the house. We searched around our house, in the woods and along side the road for about 3 hours on Wednesday night and did not find him. We got a call on Thursday from our neighbor that someone had found Bud right down the road. He got hit and managed to drag himself off the road.

I was more choked up than I thought I would be and I did shed some tears for him. It is tough losing a pet especially one you have had for awhile. We have always had lots of pets. I counted and this is the 10th pet we have lost, 6 dogs and 4 cats.
He was a very good dog, very well behaved. He never did anything wrong, he barely barked. I remember one time he got locked in the garage for 2 days and didn't go to the bathroom. He didn't have much longer to live but he didn't deserve the way he went. We still are puzzled why he was near the road in the first place, it was very unlike him. He will be missed by a lot of people.

RIP Bud.

1 comment:

California Keys said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. We had to put our dog down three weeks ago. My son walks around the house saying 'I miss Cowboy....'